Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Jacob Patterson Interview!

Yea I know its been a while but Ive been trying to get this interview for you guys so here it goes:

SD: So, When did you begin to really get into art?

JP: I think I am one of the rare cases of children whose parents WANTED them to do art. My mom would pretty much make sure that I spent time drawing once or twice a week, if I wasn't already drawing more than that. This started before I can even remember.
I remember REALLY getting into art when I started watching Dragon Ball Z. Akira Toriyama is one of my favorite artists of all time, and I would read the graphic novels and watch the cartoon ALL THE TIME and draw what I liked, and make up my own characters and stories.
I learned to oil paint in Christian school in about 7th grade, and it;s been a wrap since then. haha


SD: Haha thats awesome. Dragonball Z was the best! So where do you get the inspiraton for your artwork?

JP: The good thing about being a pop artist in the field I am most known for is that I get to choose from a wide selection of creative universes. Someone will come to me with a request, let's say "Bioshock" (which I am working on right now), and ask me to create a pair of shoes around that theme.
I then design an art piece that feels as though it could exist within (or reflect) the creative universe that is "Bioshock." Inspiration is never something I am lacking in that regard.
For other art pieces (more personal ones), I tend to reflect things that I simply feel passionate about, and use my extensive knowledge of Art History to help me out. I am, after all, and student of Art History about to graduate from UCLA.


SD: Wow thats cool.If you could pick one artist to work with in the future who would it be and why?

JP: Wow that is a tough question.
Hmmmm, if I could work with ANYONE I think I would pick the team at Banksy. They have so many artists that are talented at so many things, and not a single one of them has spilled the beans on who they are . . . and every one of them makes HUGE statements with their work.
If Banksy still is one person, then he is a monster, and the greatest artist of our time. The best since Picasso in my opinion. In terms of technical skill I think that other artists are better, but none has a more emphatic approach to art.


SD: Banksy one (or many) of the most creative inspirational artist of this time....nice choice. So one final question: What future projects are you working on or would like to work on?

JP: I don't exactly plan to be working on customs as a primary source of income/artistic expression for too much longer. I wanna get into more creative places. Everything from custom vinyl toys to clothing to more traditional things such as painting canvas will see Patterson Art's influence as soon as I get some time. haha
That said, I have some HUGE plans in store for custom shoes. Some reconstruction ideas I have in mind will not only change the foundation of custom shoes, but hopefully the way the shoe market is viewed from those both within it and those looking in from the outside.
Hopefully.
haha,

-SD-

0 comments: